Monday, February 2, 2009

"If You Run a Red Light, Will Everyone Know?"

In the essay by Brad Stone, he argues that the general public can too easily access other people's criminal records. He does execute some credibilty by adding in the example of the Fair Credit Reporting Act of 1997, which says that employers must tells prospective employees of their wish to do a background check. Also, he appeals to the readers emotions by citing one of his friends speeding ticket listed as criminal activity. Most of us would not want our speeding tickets listed that way to future employers. I feel as though the author could have stated his claim, he seemed to just be concerned with getting the reader thinking, rather than make a strong argument agaisnt it.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that the author could have stated his claim a little bit more strongly. I was emotionally drawn in to the article, because I do not think that the world should be able to see our speeding tickets, etc. Good job here, your response is concise and to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thought out piece. However I believe that the primary purpose on this article is that a person can never truly know how she or he feels about this issue until they experience it first hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this article to and i can see where your coming from. I think the author did a good job talking about both sides of the argument giving personal examples of friends and the stand point from the creators of the website.

    ReplyDelete